Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Trippin' In Style: Food for Long Drives

Long drives can be so...well... looong unless you bring a lot of fun things to do and lots of yummy food. Well, that's what I intend to do for my trip to Toronto tomorrow! I am traveling with my husband and his mom for a fun weekend in Canada. We've got a lot of shopping to do for our second wedding in Toronto (we already had one in Ohio and we just can't get enough!) and I'll have plenty to report on while I'm there. Back to business...so you know how I like things done fast...well today is no different. I was actually thinking of taking PB&Js along for the ride, but it started to sound a bit boring. Then my mother-in-law suggested making P&BJs in a tortilla with some walnuts and raisins! Now, we're talking! Fast, easy and yummy. When I went out to buy peanut butter, I saw something called Soy Nut Butter. Ooo, something I haven't tried before! So, of course, I bought some. Here is it pictured below. It looks just like peanut butter, but many people are allergic to it and it's so overdone! I put a twist on the original ideas and put soy nut butter on a whole grain tortilla, then I spread some banana instead of jam (oh the creative juices are flowin'!), then I cut up some apples and sprinkled them over the banana spread and topped it off with raisins. Soy Good Roll-Ups 4 Tortillas soy nut butter (or peanut butter) to taste 1 banana 1 apple, diced into tiny pieces handful of raisins Once all the ingredients are in the tortilla, here is how you roll it up: I figured a graphical representation would be more food for thought than my going on and on about how to roll the darn thing! As you can see above, I'm not stopping here. I bought some Tazo teas, cliff bars, fruit and my roll ups. This should be a delicious and healthy way to cross the border into dangerous and foreign lands. (I'm trying to spice up the trip!) Anyhow, wish me luck and don't think I've forgotten about my readers! I'll have some tasty Indian recipes for you while I'm in Toronto...my Momma's homemade Indian food! Mmmm...it's gonna make you want to move in with her! She has plenty of space and loves to teach people to cook...hmm sounds familiar... it's all in my genes, I just can't help it! :)

5 comments:

Dilip said...

I love Toronto! Do eat at Fressen and Juice for Life. Let me know if you want me to send you my long list of Toronto things-to-do and places-to-eat. I know a good wedding photographer :-) ! Best wishes!

Shelley said...

Hope your trip went well. Chris and I used to eat a lot of soy nut butter back in the day. Thanks for reminding us it existed. What did you think?

wingraclaire said...

It's funny; I just read your entry and I had just posted a pic of my husband's PB & J with sprout sandwiches :)

As for the PB allergy, I don't have it, but in my classroom we have several nut-allergic kids, and at school I use sunflower butter. The kids like it and it functions in the same way!

Sangeeta Kumar said...

Dilip: I LOVE Juice for Life! Thanks for reminding me it's here...i'll check it out for sure and maybe put up some picts!

Shelley: The rolls turned out great and they really hit the spot! So easy to easy to eat and very satisfying! :)

WingraClaire: I've never tried sunflower butter, but I've seen it before. I guess I have to go pick some up!

Dilip said...

Juice for Life is good - but don't miss Fressen. I also like the vegetarian pay-by-weight cafeteria Le Commensal (655 Bay St but enter on Elm - they validate parking in the big lot there). Pulp Kitchen Juicebar and Eatery (898 Queen St E at Logan Ave) is pretty good and I love the rotis at Bacchus - I would always stop there enroute to the airport on my way home and bring several rotis home with me. I ate once at Little Tibet (712 Queen West at Manning) back in April 2004 and loved their momos.

I've had both soynut and sunflower butter. They both are okay; I particularly like the sunflower. I think that people should consider less soy products if they're already eating many other soy products. The sunflower butter was good but runny. When do you leave for your trip? Enjoy the second wedding!!