Wednesday, March 5, 2008

We Be Yammin’!

Why eat yams (i.e sweet potatoes)? Because they are full of nutrients. So much so that some call it a super food. According to Dr.Weil they are low on the glycemic index and should be eaten more often than just on holidays. The following simple recipe comes from Candle Café’s Cookbook. It’s a great cookbook full of gourmet and sometimes really simple recipes like this one I tweaked. (You’ll notice I rarely ever follow recipes) This is apparently one of the most ordered appetizers at the café, and once you try it, you’ll know why! Mashed Yams 2 red garnet yams (or any sweet potato variety) 1/2 Tbsp mellow white miso 2 Tbsp maple syrup 1/4 tsp. cinnamon Please note that I’ve just approximated the proportions. This combination is so lovely, that I don’t think you can really go wrong so play with it! I cut up the yams into 8 pieces each and wrapped them into foil and baked at 350 for about 45 minutes or until tender. Then I began to peel them and almost got my fingers burnt! I didn’t have the patience to let them cool so I ran them under cold water so that I could bare to hold them. I then mashed the potatoes and mixed the rest of the ingredients and made a quick sauce of it. Then I poured the miso sauce into the potatoes and mixed it well. Make sure you eat it warm as it tastes best this way...I was too busy taking pictures of this dish (as seen above) that I lost track of time and ended up with a cold meal, but it was still great! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Dilip said...

This sounds like a surprisingly easy (given it's from Candle Cafe, known for its phenomenal dishes!) dish - I'll have to try it. Thanks so much, Sangeeta!! --Dilip