Sunday, March 23, 2008

When you just want it now!

So I got off the Greyhound bus about an hour ago and here I am blogging! I missed you all while I was gone…shout out to my sis Priya who helped pack my week with more meetings and projects I thought humanly possible! I went to Toronto to prepare for my wedding and I had all the right intentions to share more of Mama Raj’s cooking, but alas I had little time to myself amongst the chaos. I promise to make up for it and share more of Mama Raj’s recipes this week. As I was saying, I just got home and was staaarving! I opened our freezer and I found the perfect food to satisfy me while my pasta was being cooked: edamame. I knew that I had to just blog about it really quickly. So I went went to work cooking and taking pictures of it…see how much I love y’all? I didn’t even unpack my bags and here I am writing on my Mac as I scarf down my edamame. Edamame is the whole soybean pod and the inner beans are eaten as a delicacy in Asian countries. According to the USDA: When cooked and lightly salted, the pea-like beans inside "vegetable" soybeans make a protein-rich addition to salads, casseroles, soups, snacks, mixed or stir-fried vegetables and other foods. 6 cups of water 1 package of Edamame (in most frozen foods sections of grocery stores) Optional Sauce: 2 tsp of black fig vinegar (or any flavored vinegar could work) 1 Tbsp shoyu sauce (Japanese name for soy sauce…the brand San-J makes a wonderful shoyu) Once the water is boiling, cook the edamame for about 4 minutes. Drain and run cold water over it to stop the cooking process (if it is cooked longer the bean will be mushy... some people like that, but I like my beans a little on the firmer side). Now you can eat just like that (I had to stop myself from eating it all as I cooled it over the sink!) or sprinkle some salt over the pods. I decided to experiment with a light sauce and it was great! If you are used eating salted edamame, try it with the sauce above. That’s it for now…time for unpacking!

1 comment:

Dilip said...

Welcome back, Sangeeta! --Dilip