Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Most Awesome Salad in the World!

This is my absolute favorite salad! This recipe was inspired by a wonderful restaurant here in Columbus called North Star Cafe. I used to order this salad all the time at the restaurant and just couldn’t get enough…then I tried to mimic the recipe at home and I think I’ve got it pretty close. I knew it was a winner when my HUGE Indian family came over for dinner and had this salad and kept coming back for more! Now, fancy salads is not the Indian “thang”…but when my non-venturesome food loving family inhaled this dish, I knew I was onto something great. I can guarantee that your friends and family will love this too! So there are a few “magic” ingredients in order to make this happen…it just won’t be the same without Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (I get it from Trader Joe’s) and Candied Pecans (also from Trader Joe’s). I’ve never measured these ingredients, but this is close to how I do it. Dressing: 3-4 Tbsp Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar 2 tsp Shoyu Sauce (this has a softer flavor than Tamari) 1/2 lemon, juiced (I just squeezed about 1 Tbsp worth of juice) Salad: 5 steamed Baby Beets (I buy them pre-steamed from Trader Joe’s) 1 handful Candied Pecans, chopped 1 handful of Roasted Almonds, chopped 1 avocado (optional) 1 container of pre-washed Baby Lettuce Assemble the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together and toss into the salad bowl. You can also add baked tofu and croĆ»tons to this salad. My mouth is watering just writing this…I hope you love this as much as we do!

3 comments:

Becky Evans said...

Sangeeta,

I just discovered your blog from a link from Katie Coons' blog. I love it. Your photos are beautiful and the recipes sound fantastic. I can't wait to try some of them.

love,
Becky (Katie's mom)

Andrea said...

Except for the beets (I'm not a big fan of beets and would probably substitute carrots) this looks really good. Perfect, in fact for next weekend's company. I may have to walk over to Trader Joe's and get some orange muscat champagne vinegar and an avocado. Thanks!

Sangeeta Kumar said...

Wow Andrea you can WALK over to Trader Joe's? Lucky you! They have such great prices on everything! Oh and don't forget those candied pecans, they are really wonderful in this salad...you can also use the roasted almonds at TJ's.

I hope your company likes this salad!